Hear me Roar

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Alternative uses for technology

If gangs can do...then so can we!
I got this article out of the USA Today 7/6/06 http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-07-06-gangs-web_x.htm regarding gangs using the internet to post threats, brag about illegal activity, recruit members, etc. In my mind, I think this in some ways is proof that the digital divide is lessening. I would rather see the internet be used for good, but the fact that gangs are accessing the internet sort of creates the question in my mind just how wide is the digial divide? The typical gang member is more than likely a minority from an impoverished background. Yet, they are accessing the internet to further their own cause.

Winona Shares
http://www.winonashares.org/
Members of the community in Winona started Winona shares over a year ago. It is a way for people to connect with agencies about volunteer opportunities. But even better than that, it is a place for people get rid of stuff they don't want around their house anymore and get it in the hands of people who are in need of it. It is great for people who are looking for household items, people who want to unload things, and for the environment since a lot of this stuff would otherwise end up in the landfill. I haven't heard the stats on how many people have connected, but I have utilized it myself a few times and have had good outcomes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home